3rd graders and 5th graders went for a walk around the botanical garden in Auroville. Sathiyamoorthy was guiding us.
Prathap, Bala and myself were along with the children. We started with a circle and Sathiyamoorthy gave a brief introduction about what the children should do and the type of plants they were expected to see around the Botanical garden. He was basically telling about 4 types of plants.
- Epiphytes (Plants that has the roots outside the soil.)
- Xerophytes (Plants that grow in dry areas. (Eg., Cactus))
- Semiphytes (Plants that grow in land.)
- Parasites (Plants that grow on other plants and trees.)
- Hydrophytes (Plants that grow in fresh water.)
- Halophytes (Plants that grow in salt water. Note: These types of plants are not there in Auroville Botanical garden)
Then the children went around and Sathiyamoorthy explained about the plants. He talked about the survival techniques, leaf structure and mainly names of the trees and plants.
Children played a maze game. A garden with a maze structure was built there. Children enjoyed getting lost and finding the paths. Children also reflected at the end of the session.