The 8th graders were working on percentages and finding the discounts. Sanjeev, taught the children on how to find the discount for a percentage using a graph sheet. Let’s see how to find discounts using graph sheet.
A book costs Rs. 500. The shopkeeper sells the book with 10% discount. What is the cost of the book?
1. Darw the X-axis and Y-axis.
2. Then on the X-axis mark the percentage(upto 100 with 1cm = 10 units)
3. On the Y-axis mark the amount of the book(upto 500 with 1cm = 100 units)
4. Then mark the point where the 100 from X-axis and 500 from Y-axis intersects.
5. Draw a ray from the point 0, crossing the point where the 100 from X-axis and 500 from Y-axis intersects.
6. Then for 10% discount we know that it is less 10 less than 100. So, it would be 90. So, from 90 in the draw a line that intersects the middle line.
7. Now, from the point that intersects the middle line from 90 draw a straight line to Y-axis.
8. This will give the amount which is 450.