STEM Land – Aura Auro Design is a sub-unit of SAIIER (Sri Aurobindo International Institute of Educational Research). SAIIER is an education research wing at Auroville a universal township at the service of humanity. STEM Land has two centers run in Auroville’s outreach schools and is largely supported by Aura Semiconductor Pvt. Ltd. The aims of the sub-unit are:
The aims of the sub-unit are:
- Exploring self-directed learning and research the use of technology in effective learning and learning environments e.g. STEM Land.
- Exploring a learning organization as an environment where learning (unending education) and growth (constant progress) of its members and those they interact with is the primary goal while still being effective in engaging in a real world context.
- To provide opportunity (and mentoring) to youth in and around Auroville to become skilled e.g. in electronics, programming, and teaching.
- To provide an opportunity for skilled youth to engage with children in schools and move beyond simple procedural learning into application, problem solving and self-mastery.
- To explore alternatives to examinations as a way for children to demonstrate mastery.
- To support those who want to see similar changes in their schools and organizations e.g. modules in specific topics, teacher training.
The original concept note by our founder Dr. Sanjeev Ranganathan on Aura Auro Design is here.
Our first center is in Udavi school serving the villages in the south of Auroville and the other center is in Isai Ambalam school serving the villages to the west of Auroville. STEM Land is open learning space and welcomes to all who want to learn and build things and offers a variety of learning opportunities like programming, electronics, making and tinkering, strategy games, puzzles and a lot more. We also offer graduate-level courses in electronics on specific days.